The main research interest of our group is developing new single-molecule and single-cell imaging techniques for investigating various biological phenomena. We are using single-molecule FRET, single-vesicle assay, single-protein detection in a living cell, real-time single-protein tracking, and super-resolution imaging. Using these techniques, we are directly visualizing the cellular processes, such as transcriptional dynamics and the movement of DNA, in a living cell. We are also heavily investigating membrane protein interactions and their diffusional mode in a living cell. Not only the living cell system, we are also studying protein-DNA interactions at the single-molecule level. Finally, we are studying the molecular mechanism of Parkinson’s disease based on the interactions between alpha-Synuclein and SNARE-proteins
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2005
- M.S. Chemistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2000
- B.S. Chemistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 1998
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2017-Present
- Associate Professor, Department of Physics & School of Interdisciplinary Bioscience and Bioengineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Pohang, Korea, 2013-2017
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physics & School of Interdisciplinary Bioscience and Bioengineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Pohang, Korea, 2009-2013
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, USA, 2006-2008
- Visiting Scientist, U. C. Los Angeles, California, USA, 2002-2003
- "Single-molecule observation of ATP-independent SSB displacement by RecO in Deinococcus radiodurans", J. Hwang, J.-Y. Kim, C. Kim, S. park, S. Joo, S. K. Kim*, N. K. Lee*, eLife, 2020, 9, e50945.
- "Transcription and translation contribute to gene locus relocation to the nucleoid periphery in E.coli.” S. Yang, S. H. Kim, D.-K. Kim, H. J. An, J. B. Son, A. H. Gynnå, N. K. Lee, Nat. Commun. 2019, 10, 5131.
- “Dynamic release of bending stress in short dsDNA by a kink and forks”, C. Kim, O. Lee, J.-Y. Kim, W. Sung, N. K. Lee, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 31, 8943-8947.
- “Real-time submillisecond single-molecule FRET dynamics of freely diffusing molecules with liposome tethering”, J.-Y. Kim, C. Kim, N. K. Lee, Nat. Commun. 2015, 6, 6992.
- “Contribution of RNA polymerase concentration variation to protein expression noise”, S. Yang, S. H. Kim, Y. R. Lim, C. H. Kim, H. J. An, J-H Kim, J. Sung,* N. K Lee*, Nat. Commun. 2014, 5, 4761.
- “Large α-Synuclein oligomers inhibit neuronal SNARE-mediated vesicle docking”, B. K Choi, M. G. Choi, J. Y. Kim, Y. Yang, Y. Lai, D. H. Kweon, N. K. Lee,* Y. K. Shin*, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2013, 110, 4087-4092.
Jaehun Yi, Sanghun Yeou, Nam Ki Lee
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2022, 144, 29, (2022-07-27)
Chemical Science, 2022, 13, (2022-06-02)
Sanghun Yeou, Nam Ki Lee
Molecules and Cells, 2022, 45, 1, (2022-03-31)
23. Method for the Rapid Screening of Drug Candidates Using Single-Protein Tracking in a Living Cell
Dong-Kyun Kim, Young Sook Kim, Chan Sik Kim, Nam Ki Lee
Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, 2021, 42, 3, (20210301)
22. Mechanism of Cyanine5 to Cyanine3 Photoconversion and Its Application for High-Density Single-Particle Tracking in a Living Cell
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2021, 143, 35, (2021-09-08)
Sanghun Yeou, Nam Ki Lee
Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, 2021, 42, 8, (2021-08)
Ryan Khounlo, Brenden J. D. Hawk, Tung-Mei Khu, Gyeongji Yoo, Nam Ki Lee, Josh Pierson, Yeon-Kyun Shin
Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, 2021, 9, (2021-07-19)
19. FRET-based dynamic structural biology: Challenges, perspectives and an appeal for open-science practices
Eitan Lerner, Anders Barth, Jelle Hendrix, Benjamin Ambrose, Victoria Birkedal, Scott C Blanchard, Richard Börner, Hoi Sung Chung, Thorben Cordes, Timothy D Craggs, Ashok A Deniz, Jiajie Diao, Jingyi Fei, Ruben L Gonzalez, Irina V Gopich, Taekjip Ha, Christian A Hanke, Gilad Haran, Nikos S Hatzakis, Sungchul Hohng, Seok-Cheol Hong, Thorsten Hugel, Antonino Ingargiola, Chirlmin Joo, Achillefs N Kapanidis, Harold D Kim, Ted Laurence, Nam Ki Lee, Tae-Hee Lee, Edward A Lemke, Emmanuel Margeat, Jens Michaelis, Xavier Michalet, Sua Myong, Daniel Nettels, Thomas-Otavio Peulen, Evelyn Ploetz, Yair Razvag, Nicole C Robb, Benjamin Schuler, Hamid Soleimaninejad, Chun Tang, Reza Vafabakhsh, Don C Lamb, Claus Am Seidel, Shimon Weiss
eLife, 2021, 10, e60416, (2021-05-29)
Gyeongji Yoo, Sanghun Yeou, Jung Bae Son, Yeon-Kyun Shin, Nam Ki Lee
Scientific Reports, 2021, 11, 10955, (2021-05-26)
17. Single-molecule Observation of ATP-independent SSB Displacement by RecO in Deinococcus radiodurans
eLife, 2020, 9, (2020-04-16)