Systems Chemical Biology Laboratory
OFFICE 503동 124호 / +82-2-880-4390
LAB 503-103 / +82-2-880-2679
In a human cell, around 20,000 different human proteins are known to be expressed. These proteins are not uniformly distributed throughout the cell, but they are located in highly specific targeted spaces and form a variety of microenvironments. To map localized protein information in a sub-cellular "space of interest", we develop a new protein mapping method based on compatible protein label chemistry in living cellular physiology. This new method called proximity labeling has the potential to uncover new protein components that are not mapped by traditional protein purification methods such as co-immunoprecipitation. This method can be extended to uncover spatiotemporal subcellular distribution of other biomolecules such as nucleic acids and metabolites in living cells and in live animals.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Seoul National University, Korea, 2009
- B.S. Biological Sciences and Chemistry (Double Major), Seoul National University, Korea, 2004
- Associate Professor, UNIST Chemistry, Korea, 2017-2018
- Assistant Professor, UNIST Chemistry, Korea, 2013-2017
- Postdoctoral Researcher, MIT Chemistry, USA, 2010-2012
- “Contact-ID, a new tool for profiling organelle contact site, reveals regulatory proteins of mitochondrial-associated membrane formation” Kwak C†, Shin S†, Park JS†, Jung M, Nhung TTM, Kang MG, Lee C, Kwon TH, Park SK*, Mun JY*, Kim JS*, and Rhee HW*, PNAS, 2020, 117, 12109-12120
- “Architecture Mapping of the Inner Mitochondrial Membrane Proteome by Cheimcal Tools in Live Cells.” Lee SY, Kang MG, Shin S, Kwak C, Kwon T, Seo JK*, Kim JS*, and Rhee HW*, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 3651-3662.
- “Structure-Guided Synthesis of a Protein-Based Fluorescent Sensor for Alkyl Halides”, Kang MG†, Lee H†, Kim BH, Dunbayev Y, Seo JK, Lee C*, Rhee HW*, Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 9226-9229.
- “Proximity-Directed Labeling Reveals a New Rapamycin-Induced Heterodimer of FKBP25 and FRB in Live Cells.” Lee SY†, Lee H†, Lee HK, Lee SW, Ha SC, Kwon T, Seo JK*, Lee C*, and Rhee HW* ACS Cent. Sci. 2016, 2, 506-516.
- “In Cellulo Mapping of Subcellular Localized Bilirubin.” Park JS, Nam E, Lee HK, Lim MH*, and Rhee HW* ACS Chem. Biol. 2016, 11, 2177-2185.
- “APEX fingerprinting reveals the subcellular localization of proteins of interest.” Lee SY, Kang MG, Park JS, Lee G, Ting AY*, Rhee HW* Cell Rep. 2016, 15, 1837-1847
23. A multifunctional peroxidase-based reaction for imaging, sensing and networking of spatial biology
Nirmali Sharma, Pratyush Kumar Mishra, Chang-Mo Yoo, Minkyo Jung, Ji Young Mun, Hyun Woo Rhee
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Molecular Cell Research, 2023, 1870, 3, (2023-03) Link
22. Identification of proteomic landscape of drug-binding proteins in live cells by proximity-dependent target ID
Chulhwan Kwak, Cheolhun Park, Minjeong Ko, Chun Young Im, Heegyum Moon, Young-Hoon Park, So Young Kim, Seungyeon Lee, Myeong-Gyun Kang, Ho Jeong Kwon, Eunmi Hong, Jeong Kon Seo, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Cell Chemical Biology, 2022, 29, 12, (2022-12-15) Link
Mingle Li, Yunjie Xu, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jong Seung Kim
Chem, 2022, 8, 12, (2022-12-08) Link
Pratyush Kumar Mishra, Issac Park, Nirmali Sharma, Chang-Mo Yoo, Hee Yong Lee, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Analytical Chemistry, 2022, 93, 43, (2022-11-01) Link
19. Inositol polyphosphate multikinase physically binds to the SWI/SNF complex and modulates BRG1 occupancy in mouse embryonic stem cells
Jiyoon Beon, Sungwook Han, Hyeokjun Yang, Seung Eun Park, Kwangbeom Hyun, Song-Yi Lee, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jeong Kon Seo, Jaehoon Kim, Seyun Kim, Daeyoup Lee
eLife, 2022, 11, (2022-06-16) Link
Quangdon Tran, Hyunji Lee, Jae Hun Jung, Seung-Hee Chang, Robin Shrestha, Gyeyeong Kong, Jisoo Park, Seon-Hwan Kim, Kyu-Sang Park, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jeanho Yun, Myung-Haing Cho, Kwang Pyo Kim, Jongsun Park
Cell Death & Disease, 2022, 13, 543, (2022-06-10)
Pratyush Kumar Mishra, Myeong-Gyun Kang, Hakbong Lee, Seungjoon Kim, Subin Choi, Nirmali Sharma, Cheol-Min Park, Jaewon Ko, Changwook Lee, Jeong Kon Seo, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Chemical Science, 2022, 13, 4, (2022-01-28) Link
16. Spatial Regulation of Reactive Oxygen Species via G6PD in Brown Adipocytes Supports Thermogenic Function
Jee Hyung Sohn, Yul Ji, Chang-Yun Cho, Hahn Nahmgoong, Sangsoo Lim, Yong Geun Jeon, Sang Mun Han, Ji Seul Han, Isaac Park, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Sun Kim, Jae Bum Kim
Diabetes, 2022, 70, 12, (2021-12-01) Link
Chang-Ryul Choi, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Trends in Biotechnology, 2021, (2021-10-16) Link
14. Dynamic tracking and identification of tissue-specific secretory proteins in the circulation of live mice
Kwang-eun Kim, Isaac Park, Jeesoo Kim, Myeong-Gyun Kang, Won Gun Choi, Hyemi Shin, Jong-Seo Kim, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jae Myoung Suh
Nature Communications, 2021, 5204, (2021-09-01) Link