In a human cell, around 20,000 different human proteins are known to be expressed. These proteins are not uniformly distributed throughout the cell, but they are located in highly specific targeted spaces and form a variety of microenvironments. To map localized protein information in a sub-cellular "space of interest", we develop a new protein mapping method based on compatible protein label chemistry in living cellular physiology. This new method called proximity labeling has the potential to uncover new protein components that are not mapped by traditional protein purification methods such as co-immunoprecipitation. This method can be extended to uncover spatiotemporal subcellular distribution of other biomolecules such as nucleic acids and metabolites in living cells and in live animals.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Seoul National University, Korea, 2009
- B.S. Biological Sciences and Chemistry (Double Major), Seoul National University, Korea, 2004
- Associate Professor, UNIST Chemistry, Korea, 2017-2018
- Assistant Professor, UNIST Chemistry, Korea, 2013-2017
- Postdoctoral Researcher, MIT Chemistry, USA, 2010-2012
- “Contact-ID, a new tool for profiling organelle contact site, reveals regulatory proteins of mitochondrial-associated membrane formation” Kwak C†, Shin S†, Park JS†, Jung M, Nhung TTM, Kang MG, Lee C, Kwon TH, Park SK*, Mun JY*, Kim JS*, and Rhee HW*, PNAS, 2020, 117, 12109-12120
- “Architecture Mapping of the Inner Mitochondrial Membrane Proteome by Cheimcal Tools in Live Cells.” Lee SY, Kang MG, Shin S, Kwak C, Kwon T, Seo JK*, Kim JS*, and Rhee HW*, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 3651-3662.
- “Structure-Guided Synthesis of a Protein-Based Fluorescent Sensor for Alkyl Halides”, Kang MG†, Lee H†, Kim BH, Dunbayev Y, Seo JK, Lee C*, Rhee HW*, Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 9226-9229.
- “Proximity-Directed Labeling Reveals a New Rapamycin-Induced Heterodimer of FKBP25 and FRB in Live Cells.” Lee SY†, Lee H†, Lee HK, Lee SW, Ha SC, Kwon T, Seo JK*, Lee C*, and Rhee HW* ACS Cent. Sci. 2016, 2, 506-516.
- “In Cellulo Mapping of Subcellular Localized Bilirubin.” Park JS, Nam E, Lee HK, Lim MH*, and Rhee HW* ACS Chem. Biol. 2016, 11, 2177-2185.
- “APEX fingerprinting reveals the subcellular localization of proteins of interest.” Lee SY, Kang MG, Park JS, Lee G, Ting AY*, Rhee HW* Cell Rep. 2016, 15, 1837-1847
21. Identification of proteomic landscape of drug-binding proteins in live cells by proximity-dependent target ID
Chulhwan Kwak, Cheolhun Park, Minjeong Ko, Chun Young Im, Heegyum Moon, Young-Hoon Park, So Young Kim, Seungyeon Lee, Myeong-Gyun Kang, Ho Jeong Kwon, Eunmi Hong, Jeong Kon Seo, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Cell Chemical Biology, 2022, 29, 12, (2022-12-15)
Mingle Li, Yunjie Xu, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jong Seung Kim
Chem, 2022, 8, 12, (2022-12-08)
Pratyush Kumar Mishra, Issac Park, Nirmali Sharma, Chang-Mo Yoo, Hee Yong Lee, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Analytical Chemistry, 2022, 93, 43, (2022-11-01)
18. Inositol polyphosphate multikinase physically binds to the SWI/SNF complex and modulates BRG1 occupancy in mouse embryonic stem cells
Jiyoon Beon, Sungwook Han, Hyeokjun Yang, Seung Eun Park, Kwangbeom Hyun, Song-Yi Lee, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jeong Kon Seo, Jaehoon Kim, Seyun Kim, Daeyoup Lee
eLife, 2022, 11, (2022-06-16)
Pratyush Kumar Mishra, Myeong-Gyun Kang, Hakbong Lee, Seungjoon Kim, Subin Choi, Nirmali Sharma, Cheol-Min Park, Jaewon Ko, Changwook Lee, Jeong Kon Seo, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Chemical Science, 2022, 13, 4, (2022-01-28)
16. Spatial Regulation of Reactive Oxygen Species via G6PD in Brown Adipocytes Supports Thermogenic Function
Jee Hyung Sohn, Yul Ji, Chang-Yun Cho, Hahn Nahmgoong, Sangsoo Lim, Yong Geun Jeon, Sang Mun Han, Ji Seul Han, Isaac Park, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Sun Kim, Jae Bum Kim
Diabetes, 2022, 70, 12, (2021-12-01)
Chang-Ryul Choi, Hyun-Woo Rhee
Trends in Biotechnology, 2021, (2021-10-16)
14. Dynamic tracking and identification of tissue-specific secretory proteins in the circulation of live mice
Kwang-eun Kim, Isaac Park, Jeesoo Kim, Myeong-Gyun Kang, Won Gun Choi, Hyemi Shin, Jong-Seo Kim, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jae Myoung Suh
Nature Communications, 2021, 5204, (2021-09-01)
Yu Geon Lee, Hui Won Kim, Yeji Nam, Kyeong Jin Shin, Yu Jin Lee, Do Hong Park, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jeong Kon Seo, Young Chan Chae
Oncogenesis, 2021, 10, 18, (2021-02-26)
12. Analysing the mechanism of mitochondrial oxidation-induced cell death using a multifunctional iridium(III) photosensitiser
Chaiheon Lee, Jung Seung Nam, Chae Gyu Lee, Mingyu Park, Chang-Mo Yoo, Hyun-Woo Rhee, Jeong Kon Seo, Tae-Hyuk Kwon
Nature Communications , 2021, 12, 26, (2021-01-04)