Established in August 1938The forerunner of the Department can be traced back to the Department of Chemistry at Kyungsung Imperial University. It was established in August 1938 belonging to the College of Engineering.
Founding of the first national university in modern Korean historyAfter Liveration, this university was abolished and the faculties of the university were integrated with the founding of the first national university in modern Korean history; Seoul National University. The Department of Chemistry became to belong to the College of Liberal Arts and and Sciences.
Including the College of the Natural SciencesIn February 1975, the College was divided into several colleges including the College of the Natural Sciences and accordingly the position of the Department of Chemistry was changed. In March 1975, the College of Natural Sciences along with another colleges and departments was moved from the Yongun to the Gwanak campus.
The Department of Chemistry was enlarged as the Graduate School of Chemistry in February 2002, which it has remained until today.